Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
127 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest remedies for depression

Answered by
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe


Practicing since :2014

Answered : 2242 Questions

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I am on Prozak and sedating-antidepressants, but they don't help when I am alone in my house. I feel very gloomy for about the first 8 hours of the day. It is not easy to get in a group of friendly people. What supplements do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

First, there are over 20 antidepressants, and often if someone does not respond well to one antidepressant, they will still respond perfectly to another.

Furthermore, most antidepressants are not at all sedating. An example of a non-sedating antidepressant would be Cymbalta or Effexor. However, if you are looking for a treatment for depression other than antidepressants, there are several evidenced-based psychotherapies that can help you.

I would search for a therapist in your area with whom to do once or twice weekly cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Or, if a CBT therapist is not available, you can find a therapist to do once or twice weekly psychodynamic psychotherapy. There are proven effective treatments for depression.

In terms of supplements, there are no FDA-approved supplements that treat depression. There are also no supplements with any scientific evidence supporting efficacy in depression. So, I would stick with a non-sedating antidepressant or explore psychotherapy.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States ( For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link:
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Treatment/Therapy ,  

Recent questions on  Psychodynamic psychotherapy

doctor1 MD

Hi I've been struggling with these problems for years and there effecting me in everyway of life maybe getting worse. I am struggling to see a NHS...

doctor1 MD

My father is a Alcholic who had stopped drinking for 15 years. His way of stopping himself was to find new ways such as; eating chocolates,...

doctor1 MD

My stepdad was abusive when I was a teen. I got into a fight with him 17years ago and he committed me to a psych ward. Today, the thing I'm really...

doctor1 MD

Hi I don t know what to do I am very depressed and suffering with severe anxiety, and lately I have had feelings that my family just want me out of...

doctor1 MD

I am 64 years old and a male... The issues that I m primarily concerned with are; my self esteem/self confidence; my underdeveloped maturity level...