Suggest remedies for depression

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 23 Sep 2016 in Mental Health
Question: I am on Prozak and sedating-antidepressants, but they don't help when I am alone in my house. I feel very gloomy for about the first 8 hours of the day. It is not easy to get in a group of friendly people. What supplements do you recommend?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

First, there are over 20 antidepressants, and often if someone does not respond well to one antidepressant, they will still respond perfectly to another.

Furthermore, most antidepressants are not at all sedating. An example of a non-sedating antidepressant would be Cymbalta or Effexor. However, if you are looking for a treatment for depression other than antidepressants, there are several evidenced-based psychotherapies that can help you.

I would search for a therapist in your area with whom to do once or twice weekly cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT). Or, if a CBT therapist is not available, you can find a therapist to do once or twice weekly psychodynamic psychotherapy. There are proven effective treatments for depression.

In terms of supplements, there are no FDA-approved supplements that treat depression. There are also no supplements with any scientific evidence supporting efficacy in depression. So, I would stick with a non-sedating antidepressant or explore psychotherapy.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private link below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private link: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee