Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
123 Doctors are Online

Suggest pain relief for osteoarthritis knee

Feb 2014
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 5930 Questions
Hi i am 51 years. Since 23/12/13 my left knee is very painful. I have been to my GP who had given me a painkiller and Vimnovo to take for 5 days. That is finished and it is still painful . I fell on my right knee 6 years ago. I got treatment for that and that knee is manageable. Today i got both knees x ray. The xray report said the following: BOTH KNEES Bilateral osteoarthritic changes seen evidenced by peaking of the intercondylar eminence, patella spurring and joint space reduction.[ L>>R]. No lysis or fracture seen. Fabellae noted bilaterally. Could you advice on medication and treatment. Thanks
Posted Tue, 4 Feb 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 3 hours later
Brief Answer: You should do following Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. To have relief in osteoarthritis knee,you should do following- -Start doing exercises for quadriceps muscles.You may learn this from your physiotherapist. -Start doing warm fomentation with rubber bag over knee for at least 3 times a day. -Take a good analgesic like advil or aleeve. -There are some dietary substances like glucosamine ,chondroitin sulfate,MSM which can be taken OTC.These substances help in repairing of damaged cartilage of knee in early stages. -Avoid squatting movements at knee. -In early stages exercises, medicines ,joint supplements & intra articular injections are helpful & may revert the changes but in late cases joint replacement is only option. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor