Suggest medication that doesn't cause drowsiness for a benign hyperplasia of prostate patient
flomax, cardura, avodart, proscar
The most commonly used medications for BPH are proscar (actual drug name-finasteride), flomax (actual drug name tamsulosin), avodart (dutasteride), Cardura (doxazosin).
Flomax and Cardura relax blood vessels and relax the muscles of the bladder and prostate so that urine flows better.
Avodart and Proscar prevent testosterone from turning into another agent that plays a role in developing BPH.
These help to prevent the size of the prostate from enlarging further.
Tamsulosin and cardura are more commonly used and sometimes they are used in combination with either avoided or Proscar.
Dizziness can occur in approximately 15 to 17 % (approximately 1 out of 6) of persons who use Flomax and 5 to 19% (1 out of 20 to 1 out of 5) of persons using Cardura. Some other possible side effects include headache, runny nose, abnormal ejaculation, decreased blood pressure on standing.
Side effects, including the dizziness, occur in the minority of persons, most persons who use these medications, do not have these symptoms. Avodart can cause dizziness in less than 1% of persons but may also be associated with decreased libido, problems with ejaculation, ED.
Proscar can be associated with similar symptoms with no known history of dizziness.
Since these medications help decrease the size of the prostate, it can take some times before their effect is felt.
He can consider trying the Doxazosin or Flomax, if he has intolerable side effects, then can be changed to an alternative.
Dr. Michelle Gibson James,
General & Family Physician
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Does benicar cause drowsiness
- Drugs/medication for drowsiness
- Does cetirizine cause drowsiness
- Best non drowsy allergy medication
- Does clarinex cause drowsiness
- Does sertraline cause drowsiness
- Does zoloft cause drowsiness
- Does guaifenesin cause drowsiness
- Does imitrex cause drowsiness
- Drowsiness causes
- Can Hydroxyzine be taken for urinary tract and bladder infections?
- What causes black colored stool?
- What causes dizziness in an elderly person post suffering a concussion?
- What does severe atrophy in a MRI report indicate?
- What causes electric shock like sensation in the arms radiating to the...
- Suggest treatment for swollen lymph nodes and fever in a child
- What does resting heart beat of 52 indicate?
- What causes diarrhea and upper right abdominal pain?
- Is Oxycodone 10/325 different from Oxycodone 114?
- Can Antabuse cause dizziness?