Suggest medication that doesn't cause drowsiness for a benign hyperplasia of prostate patient

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Tue, 4 Sep 2018 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: I am looking for a RX for my 82 year old husband to help him with his issues from BPH. He has a lot of problems peeing and is up often in the night with only dribbles possible. I need to know what RX would work best and what the possible side effects of this RX would be. He has Type 2 diabetes and high cholesterol and does not have much energy. He is farming now and around machinery so cannot take anything that would make him dizzy or lightheaded. Thanks so much, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
flomax, cardura, avodart, proscar

Detailed Answer:

The most commonly used medications for BPH are proscar (actual drug name-finasteride), flomax (actual drug name tamsulosin), avodart (dutasteride), Cardura (doxazosin).

Flomax and Cardura relax blood vessels and relax the muscles of the bladder and prostate so that urine flows better.
Avodart and Proscar prevent testosterone from turning into another agent that plays a role in developing BPH.
These help to prevent the size of the prostate from enlarging further.

Tamsulosin and cardura are more commonly used and sometimes they are used in combination with either avoided or Proscar.
Dizziness can occur in approximately 15 to 17 % (approximately 1 out of 6) of persons who use Flomax and 5 to 19% (1 out of 20 to 1 out of 5) of persons using Cardura. Some other possible side effects include headache, runny nose, abnormal ejaculation, decreased blood pressure on standing.

Side effects, including the dizziness, occur in the minority of persons, most persons who use these medications, do not have these symptoms. Avodart can cause dizziness in less than 1% of persons but may also be associated with decreased libido, problems with ejaculation, ED.

Proscar can be associated with similar symptoms with no known history of dizziness.
Since these medications help decrease the size of the prostate, it can take some times before their effect is felt.
He can consider trying the Doxazosin or Flomax, if he has intolerable side effects, then can be changed to an alternative.

Take Care!

Dr. Michelle Gibson James,