• question-icon

Suggest medical test to trace out Barbiturates in the system

Posted on Thu, 26 May 2016 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Question: HOW can you find out on a lab test that their is trace amount of barbitues. And how do I prove to my family that I did not take a drug, but passed out at a xmas eve lunch.

Stress is eating me up,,,I Think i JUsT FELL apart that day
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 53 minutes later
Brief Answer:
barbiturates can be detected through various tests

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic, I share your concern and I will try to help you out in best possible way.
barbiturates in system can be detected by various tests like urine test, blood test, saliva test and testing of hair sample.
urine test is the most specific one and duration of detection are s follows,
Short-acting barbiturates may be detected in the urine for up to five days, while long-acting barbiturates may be detectable for as long as three weeks.
barbiturates in blood tests can be detected upto a week from the day of consumption.
However its the hair sample test that can detect barbiturates for 90 days from the day of consumption.
I hope this helps you.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback.

Dr. Naveen XXXXXXX
Medical Consultant.
Ebix, Inc.
YYYY@YYYY

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
what does the 200-300 limit on amphatimines mean on your lab report? I am trying to see if my lab tests would say positive if I am taking Primidone, but where or what kind of test would'show it's quantity
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
urine analysis gives level of drugs in system.

Detailed Answer:
welcome back,
200-300 limit means that, if level of amphetamines is above 200 to 300, there is clear abuse of prescribed drug, in other words it indicates that someone has consumed more drug than was prescribed because when a person is prescribed certain dosage, body weight would have been considered and levels of that drug would not exceed certain limit.

urine analysis will confirm the levels of drugs in your system as barbiturates are metabolized and excreted through kidneys.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Revert back to me if you have follow up queries.
Dr. Naveen Kumar