Suggest dosage for Clonazepam, Benztropine and Risperidone

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 30 May 2018 in Mental Health
Question: Last week my 58 yr old brother was released from Havenwyck Psychiatric hospital in Michigan. He's been put on the following meds; BENZTROPINE MES1 2PER DAY; TRAZODONE 100MG 1PER DAY; RISPERIDONE 3MG 2PER DAY; CLONAZEPAM .05MG 2PER DAY; DIVLPROEX SODIUM 500MG 2BED TIME. As a result he sleeps 20 hours a day. Does this seem excessive medication? Our family is in desperate need of information as we cannot get a call back from his doc. A while ago his doc thought shock treatments might be effective but want a second opinion. Also could you assist with doctor referrals in Metro Detroit? p.s. his diagnosis of bipolar and schizophrenia is 20 years old...
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Clonazepam can be reduced one per day

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

First of all I am glad to know that he is stable on medication and there is no serious side effects other than increased duration of sleep. Although I will not be able to assist with referral but in regard to medications I feel the clonazepam can be reduced to one tablet 0.5 mg per day rather than the two tablets per day. Although there are multiple medications which cause increased sleep as side effect but I feel clonazepam should be the first choice while withdrawing medication for increased sleep.

I also like to make it clear that considering his diagnosis of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder the prescription is largely rational and there is nothing which can be considered excess other than clonazepam.

I hope this helps you.
Feel free to write back to me if you have more questions.
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 20 minutes later
Do you recommend ECT?
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Since the medications are effective for him I do not feel there is indication for ECT. In my opinion ECT can be considered if he is aggressive, not showing response to medications or may take his own life or others life.

In case none of these is true I do not think ECT is answer for him.

I hope this answers you further.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below-mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386

Thanks and regards.