question-icon

Suggest causes pain and swelling in the navel area

Posted on Mon, 27 Feb 2017
Question: I have a triagler swelling above my belly button and pain to the touch. I have XXXXXXX and an enlarged gallbladder. I am currently on Bactrim for an UTI
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (36 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Possible hernia or rectus diastasis

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
It looks to me like possible supraumbilical hernia or rectus diastasis and these are benign conditions which rarely cause significant symptoms,but in case if growing or pain,it can be surgically repaired. if this occurred suddenly then it would be good to do ultrasound to see if there je incarcerated bowel in it. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (55 minutes later)
I looked up Rectus diastasis and I have never been pregnant but the symptoms fit. can you get this from laproscopic and abdominal surgeries or being overweight. I also read where it can cause breathing issues which I have had since May
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Laparoscopic surgeries may lead to hernia

Detailed Answer:

Yes, it is seen in obese patients more common and laparoscopic surgeries may lead to hernia and diastasis. In every case, it can be treated only by surgical procedure, but in most cases doesn't require any treatment if you don't have persistent symptoms.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (5 hours later)
Can this cause labored breathing? I have had breathing problems since May. All test have been done. They thought the muscle under my lungs was weak. Is this that?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (10 hours later)
Brief Answer:
hi

Detailed Answer:
Yes. Diastsis recti may affect breathing function, but also you may have diaphragmatic hernia which is commonly associated with diastasis and ventral hernias. It would be good to have abdominal CT scan...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon