Suggest alternative medication in place of Nexium

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am on Clopidogrel and I have used Nexium before that to keep my stomach doing well. But I was supposed to go off of Nexium because it interacts with it. now I am in serious trouble with the stomach going and upchucking at the same time is not comfortable . so now I am going back to the Nexium. Is there any thing else I can do?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nexium, prevacid or prilosec would decrease its effectiveness

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

As you stated ,there is an interaction between these medications. Nexium decreases the effectiveness of the clopidogrel, which would increase the risk of clotting.

The same is for prevacid and prilosec.

Since this family of reflux medication cannot be used, you may need to consider medications of a different drug family such as pepcid or zantac.
These are not as effective as nexium and that group usually but they do not interact with clopidogrel.

If you have tried these before and have effects with these, the other options would be tums, milk of magnesia or aluminum hydroxide magnesium hydroxide anti acids.

The above mentioned meds (pepcid, zantac, tums, milk, aluminum/magnesium) can help if the with nausea, bloating, abdominal pain, reflux of food or acid, feeling of food stuck .
Only milk of magnesia would help with the diarrhea/runs

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions