Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
157 Doctors are Online

Suffering from tinnitus. Looking for remedy

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1279 Questions
Kindly suggest me remedy for tinnitus of the right ear from which I have been suffering for the last one year.
Posted Sat, 25 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later

Thanks for the query. Some more information like age, any co-morbidities like Diabetes/ hypertension will help out in coming to correct diagnosis. There are many causes for Tinnitus like-
1.     Exposure to loud noise
2.     Earwax blockage
3.     Ear bone changes i.e OTOSLEROSIS
4.     Age related hearing loss
5.     Acoustic neuroma
6.     Idiopathic- without any cause

There are many tests which might be helpful to come to a diagnosis like Audiological examination, imaging (CT/MRI).
Exact treatment will depend on the possible diagnosis.

Lifestyle and home remedies could be:
-Avoid possible irritants. Reduce your exposure to things that may make your tinnitus worse. Common examples include loud noises, caffeine and nicotine.
-Cover up the noise. In a quiet setting, a fan, soft music or low-volume radio static may help mask the noise from tinnitus.
-Manage stress. Stress can make tinnitus worse. Stress management, whether through relaxation therapy, biofeedback or exercise, may provide some relief.
-Reduce your alcohol consumption. Alcohol increases the force of your blood by dilating your blood vessels, causing greater blood flow, especially in the inner ear area.

Hope I answered your question. Kindly reply me if you have any further queries or any comments. I will be very happy to help you.
Dr Arif
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from tinnitus. Looking for remedy 29 hours later
I am 50 years old. Not suffering from BP or diabetes. Treated by three different doctors with medicines like ginkgo biloba and others. The audio logical test showed 20% hearing loss which in subsequent tests showed substantial improvement. I normally drink four cups of tea per day & occasionally a cup of coffee. Do not drink. Do not smoke. Have a feeling of heaviness from jaw bone to upper side of the right ear. Please advice.
Answered by Dr. Arif N Khan 1 hour later
Thanks for the follow up query. I am happy to answer your question.
Presently I feel you need a Multidisciplinary Team Assessment:
Audiologist: Reviews and demonstrates sound therapy options for tinnitus relief
Dentist: Screens for specific dental problems that may be associated with the tinnitus
Neurologist: Screens for potential neck/cervical disorders that may cause or affect the tinnitus
Physical Therapist: Screens for problems associated with neck/spine, jaw or shoulder injuries, or strain caused by job requirements/daily postures
Psychologist: Assists you in understanding the mind-body connection with tinnitus, which is critical in overall management of the condition.
Management may include the use of sound therapy, bite modification, behavioral modification therapy and/or physical therapy. And I strongly suggest you get evaluated for your Jaw problem, that might be the cause of concern.I hope I have succeeded in providing the information you were looking for. Please feel free to write back to me for any further clarifications. I would gladly help you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an ENT Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor