Suffering from severe migraines, nausea and blurred vision. What should I do?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Thu, 13 Dec 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Question: I have been suffering from severe migraines for the past week (since last Monday) , with the triggers starting from eye pain, zig zag patterms and nausea. I am still feeling a little off balance and do not have very clear vision. I can also feel blood pumping through my veins in my skull, is that normal? Should I have an MRI? My migraines usually start from the back of my head but have been starting with an excruciating pain in my eye. I usually get one migraine per year although this past week I have had 3 debilitating migraines. I went to see my gp and she gave me somatab (i think thats what it is called) although I haven't needed to take one yet.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 59 minutes later

Thank you for posting your query.

The most likely diagnosis in your case is migraine with a recent increase in frequency. It is possible in some cases of migraine to either increase in severity or frequency.

As of now, you can take rizatriptan tablet or zolmitriptan nasal spray to get relief from headaches. If it is still not subsiding, you can take an injection of dexamethasone (one dose).

You may also need to start preventive therapy to stop the recurrence of headaches. Useful drugs in this category include topiramate, divalproex, etc.

If headache continues to recur, you may go for MRI.

I hope it helps. Please get back if you have any more queries.

Wishing you good health,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist