• question-icon

What causes tremors and swallowing difficulty while on Latuda, Divalproex and Zolpidem?

Posted on Tue, 11 Jul 2017 in Bipolar Disorder
Question: I am currently taking 80 mg Latuda, 500 mg divalproex and 10 mg zolpidem. I have been diagnosed as bipolar. For several weeks I have been very shaky and now have difficulties swallowing food without gagging. I am 52 years old also been diagnosed with COPD. I have been on these meds for 3 mos and gained 20 pounds. Do you have any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Latuda could be the reason of shakiness.

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for asking from healthcaremagic.com

I can understand your concern. You are on Latuda 80 mg and though Latuda is a second generation antipsychotic drug still in some individuals the drug is known to result EPS like tremors. This could be the reason of shakiness you are having. Divalproex in high dose might lead to shakiness but you are on 500 mg dose only which is not a high dose so this is not the reason of shakiness you are having.

You can talk with your psychiatrist for that shakiness and drugs like Trihexyphenidyl could help to reduce the shakiness. This is not a serious thing.

Thanks and Take Care
Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist