Suffering from polio. Difficulty in walking. Will it be safe to go for reconstructive surgery?
my uncle is 50 y/o married and got 2 boys. He is suffering from Polio since early childhood. It is in both legs more in the left to the right, causing a limp and resulting difficulty in walking dependably.He can not stand or walk on the sole of his feet fully, which makes it more tiring to walk for long distances.
would it be possible to do a reconstructive/correction surgery for his case?
Thanks for the query.
Polio leads to weakness in extremities and that leads to deformity of joints. He seemed to have equinus contracture of the ankle joints. Definitely it can be corrected surgically and fusing the joint in neutral position.
However before taking any decision it is important to clinically examine the patient.
Usually polio patients may have weakness in knee and ankle joints. Body develop these deformities to help them to ambulate without falling down. So just correcting only one deformity may / may not solve the problem. Therefore in your uncle's case it’s important to see the patient clinically to decide about correction of deformity. I would suggest getting him examined by the orthopedic specialist to know more about other joint deformities.
Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any other queries.
I would ask if you kindly suggest any health centers in the US (California/New York or Nevada) that can reveiw and propose a medical & surgical plan for my uncle's case.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.
Thanks and regards
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Have problem in walking due to polio
- Polio legs
- Suffering from polio
- Polio women walking with and without legbraces
- Walking with polio calipers
- Troponin polio
- Suffering from post polio syndrome with lot of anxiety
- How to improve walking in polio
- Suffering with polio in one leg is it curable
- I am suffering from polio please suggest me the treatment
- Had a fall, numbness in leg, walking and sitting using brace. Will I be...
- Have cervical spondolosis, degeneration of C2/3, C3/4, lumbar...
- Suffering from polio. Difficulty in walking. Will it be safe to go for...
- Suffering from cervical spondlysis. Diagnosed with disk prolapse in C5,...
- Having pain in hip, inner thigh and groin area. CT scan normal. What is...
- Have had fracture in ribs. Why am I feeling pain and hard to breath?
- Lower disk started compressing nerve. Took myolgin for back pain. Can I...
- 60 years old. Having pain in shoulder joint and feeling difficulty to...
- How to get relief from post-traumatic muscle ache?
- Have acute pain in leg. MRI reports says it is due to tuberculosis. Any...