Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
171 Doctors are Online

Suffering from parkinson's disease. Will this cause bilateral paralyzed vocal cord?

User rating for this question
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2551 Questions
Atypical Parkinson's is my disease. I've just been diagnosed. I now observe that I've over my lifetime already worked through most of the symptoms. Is it possible to kick start my bilateral palsied vocal cord enervate it somehow?
Wed, 6 Feb 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. Laryngeal re-innervation may be done by an anastomosis of the recurrent or superior laryngeal nerves with the ansa cervicalis or hypoglossal nerves.

2. The exact state of your vocal cords and laryngeal function is important in deciding any surgical option. If you can share an endoscopic video (preferably a stroboscopy) of your larynx, it will help in understanding your problem.

3. I am assuming that you are not responding to medication and that central (brain related) causes have been ruled out. Do you have any aspiration or dysphagia?

4. There are many indications and contra-indications for such a re-innervation procedure and hence you must fit the basic criteria. You can stat by describing in detail and attaching images of a recent videolaryngoscopy.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor