Owl Image

Suffering from high fever, throat infection. Had bronchitis. Reason of recurrence?

ENT Specialist
Question
My daugther is suffering from high fever, throat infection, she has been suffering from the age of 2. she starts coughing continously for 20 mins or more at times and goes into a mode of difficulty in breathing. she is nine years old and still suffers the same. When I XXXXXXX a pediatrician he said that she had bronchitis and gave her Xaria kid, actified, and nebulization of Astalin with budocot. She was ok for a week. again she is facing the same problem. They told me to change the place from bangalore to chennai I did that, but I don't find the difference. please help me as she has become lean and weak. no strength.
Mon, 17 Dec 2012 in Asthma and Allergy

Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 1 hour later
Hi

Thanks for the query and a detailed history

Your child is suffering from allergic rhinitis followed by chronic upper and lower immunoglobulin E (IgE)-mediated inflammation of the nasal mucosa following exposure to allergens.

During allergic rhinitis there is inflammation of the nasal mucosa causing blockage of the sinus openings leading to accumulation of the nasal secretions in the sinus. Also, there is trickling of the nasal secretions behind the throat causing throat discomfort and cough.

The pollen, dust, fumes, coils smoke, etc. are the common triggers of allergy. The bitter truth is, there is no cure for allergy, and only the preventive measures when followed can get rid of allergy.

Preventive measures such as avoiding the triggering allergens such as dust, smoke, strong perfumes and changing the pillow cover every night before going to bed can reduce the further attacks. Also, avoid sleeping directly under the fan or in front of the air conditioner.

My advice is:
1. To use steroid (such as Momentasone/ Fluticasone) nasal spray once a day, this will reduce the nasal allergy and other related problems.
2. To use saline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation 3-4 times a day, this will help in opening of the sinuses and easy clearance of the sinus secretions.
3. To use a mucolytic such as Bromhexine and Ambroxol, this causes thinning of the tenacious secretions.
4. An antihistaminic such as fexofenadine /cetrizine/loratidine taken during the attack of cold will help in reducing the allergic problems.
5. To encourage her to drink plenty of warm water and to avoid chilled food or beverages.
6. To cover the nose and mouth with a clean cloth (or wear a mask) when exposed to dust or smoke.
7. She will also require x-ray of the nasopharynx to look for enlarged adenoids.
8. Consult a good ENT specialist for a thorough examination and further management. If possible visit Madras ENT research foundation. They can help you in a better way.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon