Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
133 Doctors are Online

Suffering from hiccups. What could be the cause and treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2004
Answered : 540 Questions
hello doctor, My dad is suffering frm hiccups frm past 3 days now ... what kind of doctor should i consult in india (lucknow) and whats the reason of these hiccups and is it serious ?
Posted Thu, 22 Aug 2013 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 14 minutes later
Hiccups over 3 days continuously definitely needs medical help with a doctor and does not indicate the seriousness of it.

Any medical practitioner would do. He would examine physically the chest and abdomen both as the muscle causing the hiccups is located in between. Any irritative or obstructive cause needs to be evaluated.

Some tests radiologically may be needed for diagnosing common causes first. Treatment of that cause will in turn reduce the hiccups.

Sometimes, cause is lacking but treatment is available medically too. Your doctor will guide you.

Let me know if you have further concerns.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor