Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
187 Doctors are Online

Suffering from excessive hunger and dizziness. Aortic valve replacement and bypass surgery done. Concerned

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 415 Questions
Patient complains of excessive hunger and dizziness like feeling because of which he is not able to do his activities like walking & other stuff. He does not have BP and he isnt a diabetic.
He had underwent aortic valve replacement & byepass surgery 6 months back.
Posted Mon, 22 Oct 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Susanta Padhy 1 hour later

Thanks for the query.

Excessive hunger and dizziness without any features of depression / anxiety features, without any past history of depression / eating disorder / anxiety (I presume, correct me if I am wrong) needs to be evaluated. We need to rule out organic metabolic / endocrine condition like pheochromocytoma or episodic hypoglycaemia.

You can test blood sugar during the period of excessive hunger and dizziness and then consult an endocrinologist for evaluation.

Sleep disturbances, if associated with anxiety / depressive features need to be treated with antidepressants. In the age of 72 years, may be newer serotonergic antidepressants would be helpful.

If there are no features of anxiety / depression, low dose non benzodiazepine sedatives like zolpidem / zopiclone or trazodone, etc., may be helpful.

Hope this answers your query. Please let me know if you have any additional problems as I mentioned in my answer so that we can discuss further.

Good luck !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor