Suffering from depression and panic attacks, have social phobia. Suggest some treatment

Posted on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Please help me iv had depression and panic attacks since 1994 I have social phobia too I'm desperate please help me
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Good to hear from you.
Panic attacks are are the sudden onset of severe anxiety associated with a number of physical symptoms.
These attacks are more common when someone is depressed, and depression is common amongst people with panic attacks.
You may find as these panic attacks continue that you start isolating yourself at home. This is because you will reflexively avoid places you had panic attacks, and because you may feel embarrassed or more anxious when you have panic attacks in public.
The first step for treatment is education. You must be taught these attacks are not life threatening and each attack will go away on its own, generally within 10-30 minutes. It is helpful for most people to learn relaxation techniques to help decrease the emotional response to these episodes.
A talk therapist who is skilled in treating panic attacks can teach you guided imagery skills as well. This will help distract you from the frightening symptoms and perhaps will help to decrease the symptoms themselves.
You may find it helpful to get together with others who struggle with panic attacks to provide each other support and ideas.
Antidepressants are very helpful in the treatment of panic attacks, in fact they are more effective at treating panic attacks than they are at treating depression.
So i advice you to psychiatrist for consultation and after examination if he feels that the medications are required he may prescribe them.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Answered by
Dr. Harish Naik

General & Family Physician

Practicing since :2008

Answered : 2617 Questions


The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,   ,  
Medical Topics

Recent questions on  Guided imagery

doctor1 MD

I take lorazepam every night as a sleep aid prescribed by my doctor. .5mg or a full pill every day. been on it for a year or 2. I'm worried I'm...

doctor1 MD

what is the best sleeping pill on the market

doctor1 MD

I am concerned about a few things... unexplained small bruise on inner upper arms two large, soft lumps on either side above my glands - just under...

doctor1 MD

I have a 15 year old severe brachial plexus injury . Surgery was performed almost a year after the accident due to the doc on call the night I was...

doctor1 MD

I was dreaming last night and in my dream my heart went 200 beats per minute due too some reaction to to medicine I took in my dream. When I woke...

Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties

196 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM Blog Questions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction