Suffering from depression and panic attacks, have social phobia. Suggest some treatment

Posted on Sat, 25 Aug 2012 in Anxiety and Stress
Question: Please help me iv had depression and panic attacks since 1994 I have social phobia too I'm desperate please help me
Answered by Dr. Harish Naik 1 hour later
Hello
Good to hear from you.
Panic attacks are are the sudden onset of severe anxiety associated with a number of physical symptoms.
These attacks are more common when someone is depressed, and depression is common amongst people with panic attacks.
You may find as these panic attacks continue that you start isolating yourself at home. This is because you will reflexively avoid places you had panic attacks, and because you may feel embarrassed or more anxious when you have panic attacks in public.
The first step for treatment is education. You must be taught these attacks are not life threatening and each attack will go away on its own, generally within 10-30 minutes. It is helpful for most people to learn relaxation techniques to help decrease the emotional response to these episodes.
A talk therapist who is skilled in treating panic attacks can teach you guided imagery skills as well. This will help distract you from the frightening symptoms and perhaps will help to decrease the symptoms themselves.
You may find it helpful to get together with others who struggle with panic attacks to provide each other support and ideas.
Antidepressants are very helpful in the treatment of panic attacks, in fact they are more effective at treating panic attacks than they are at treating depression.
So i advice you to psychiatrist for consultation and after examination if he feels that the medications are required he may prescribe them.
Hope i have cleared your queries. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer.
Wish you good health.

Dr. Harish Naik