Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Suffering from anxiety, hypochondria and GERD. Could it be related to cancer?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Gastroenterologist, Surgical
Practicing since : 1984
Answered : 922 Questions
Hello. Im a 30 y o female. Suffering from anxiety and hypochondria. Lately, after losing a close person (74 y o father in law) i had my panic attacks back... For the past couple of weeks i have been suffering from constant burping (every couple of minutes) and after meals its worse. I also have uncomfortable chest preasure that is relieved only by burping. I tried eating slow and with my mouth closed, and small meals. But it doesnt seem to help. Im constantly stressed and feel anxiety, because i fear i might have cancer. I was told that this might be GERD. But i keep worrying all the time that it might be cancer... it will be a long time until they give me a gastro test, i vant handle the stress.... please help me
Posted Thu, 4 Oct 2012 in GERD
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 9 hours later

Thanks for writing in
Yes your information does point to GERD

Here are a few tips :

1] Avoid spicy, fermented meals
2] Do not have heavy meals
3] Avoid smoking and alcohol if used to
4] Wear loose clothes
5] Do not stoop
6] Do not lift heavy weights
7] Raise the head end of your bed
8] If Obese lose weight
9] If under stress - Manage stress levels by meditation and exercise

Add a proton pump inhibitor with prokinteic to your medicine list
Hope this helps
Am available for followup queries
Get well soon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suffering from anxiety, hypochondria and GERD. Could it be related to cancer? 3 hours later
thank you for your reply

you are a Gastroenterologist?

i want to know what kinds of tests i should do because i have hypochondria , im obssesed with the thought that i might have esophagus cancer, or any kind of other cancer. i am in a constant state of anxiety and my symptoms seem to get worse. i know i'm young, but i still have these horrible thoughts. i am going to see a Gastroenterologist soon, but until then, can you please calm me down? thank you
Answered by Dr. Ajit Naniksingh Kukreja 3 hours later

Yes I am a Gastroentrologist but a Surgical Specialist

My first word is a word of reassurance

Yer if you want to go for any tests, go for
1] Barium Swallow
2] Upper GI Scopy
3] Colonoscopy
4] Stool For Occult Blood
5] A complete blood count

In my setup I would just reassure you and examine clinically
Hope this clears your doubts
Get Well Soon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor