Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
162 Doctors are Online

Suffering from alopecia. What treatment should be done?

User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 1996
Answered : 988 Questions
My age is 31 and I have 1.5 year baby.I have alopecia from last 10 years and its not getting better.I have been to Dr Batra for a year,but there was not even 1% change.So I stopped.Pl suggest which line of treatment should be followed.
Posted Fri, 30 Nov 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Bharat Chawda 3 hours later

Thank you for posting your query,

In females there are various reasons for hair loss.Common cause of hair loss in females are –iron deficiency, hormonal imbalance, thyroid problem, stress, lack of sleep, familial ,or use of chemical on scalp ,procedures like perming or straightening ,post partum(after delivery ),post menopausal etc. Other rare causes are zn & copper deficiency .
So one has to find the exact cause of hair loss and treat. In females there are various patterns of hair loss,which can be judged clinically by a dermatologist. At times its only frontal or may be diffuse .In certain cases alopecia is in form of small coin shaped patches ,which is known as Alopecia Areata.

I would advise you to visit a dermatologist who can examine you and prescribe you right form of medicines .There are certain medicines which cannot be taken while you are breast feeding your child.

You should get your hormonal level checked along with an ultra sound if necessary to rule out PCOD(poly cystic ovary disease ) or hormonal reasons of hair loss .This usually seen in obese patient with irregular periods. Other simple test which we do are hair pull test and trichogram to diagnose which type of hair loss is there. Consultation with a competent dermatologist should help diagnose your problem.

Various medical options are topical minoxidil solution ,with oral Biotin ,zinc & copper.
These medicines are avoided while feeding the baby.

Other hormonal medicines are also available if needed.Since these are prescriptions based medicines ,only a dermatologist can prescribe them.

Improve your diet with XXXXXXX leafy veg, fresh fruits, plenty of water, sprouts ,pulses, high protein diet, avoid items with high sugar content like sweets & chocolates, less of Chinese foods, less of pizza & burgers ,more of milk & ghee, dry fruits . Good sleep also has a important role to play .

Hope I've answered your query.

Should you have additional concern regarding the same ,I would be happy to address it.

Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Dr.Bharat chawda XXXXXXX specialist, Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Lab Tests

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor