Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
184 Doctors are Online

Suffering from UTI. Any alternate medicine for elmiron?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

ENT Specialist
Practicing since : 1991
Answered : 2547 Questions
I have been taking 4 caps of elmiron for over 8 years. I still have IC flare ups and have been to my doctor and Urgent Care for what I was sure was a UTI (most of the time the lab results came back negative). Long story short.......elmiron is now over $800/monthly and my insurance only covers about $200/monthly. There are other members in my family who need medical care and I am the one using up our entire budget. Simply stated, I can no longer afford to take elmiron. What is the very BEST alternative for me. I also take hydrozlyzine XXXXXXX and amitriptyline XXXXXXX nightly.
Posted Wed, 17 Apr 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later

Thank you for your query.

1. The Indian equivalent 'Comfora' (Pentoan Polysulfate Sodium) is priced at about $83 for 90 capsules.

2. Since the patent for Elmron has expired in 2010, you should be able to locate a bulk or generic supplier locally.

3. There are many other options, both i terms of medication and surgery. However, these may only be discussed with your physician.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor