Suffering from IBS and noticed red blood in stool. What treatment should be done?

Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 10 Dec 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Question: dear doctors ,
can u please let me know that was suffering from ibs from one year and ffrom today i having red blood types tolls can u brief me
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 19 minutes later

Only one duration / short duration of bright red blood in stool is not concerning and you need not worry. Have you undergone a colonoscopy?

A few possibilities are:
1. If the blood is not mixed with stool and is separate from stools then fissures / piles (hemorrhoids) may be possible.
2. If bleeding persists or is severe or you have symptoms like weight loss, loss of appetite, etc, and if colonoscopy was not done yet, then you can undergo one to be sure of cause and rule out other causes.

In brief, you will need evaluation and colonoscopy if bleeding persists and other symptoms as mentioned above develop. In the meantime, take plenty of water; eat high fiber diet like fruits and salads. Avoid straining for stools and can take some liquid paraffin for few days if you are feeling constipated.

Hope this answers your query. Please do reply in case of any further questions.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad