Suffering from Factor V Leiden. Suggest

Dr. Gaurav Nigam

Pediatrician

Posted on Wed, 27 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I have a friend who is having Factor Five Issues, It's a blood clotting thing... m not sure on the details and I've never asked.. But I do know that his medication helps to thin out the blood and keeps it from sending clots to his lungs, heat, and brain.. It's kept him alive all his life. He was born with this condition. Please we need help, his doctor isn't at the clinic anymore and he can't see to find one where he's at because of the pain medication he's on.. Isthere anything you can sugest or do???
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 9 hours later
Brief Answer: Greetings. Detailed Answer: Greetings, As I have learnt from the history, your friend has factor 5 deficiency. Its also called as owrens disease or parahemophilia. Now, the big question in your friends case is what are his factor 5 values. In general the deficiency is mostly mild and warrants only precautionary measures. We talk about measures that has to be taken during sporting events, strenuous exercises or with an occupation related injuries. DDAVP nasal spray can be given at the time of need if his doctor advices. But in most cases, such treatments are rarely required in isolated factor 5 deficiency since it is mostly mild. In brief, if his factor 5 values is not grossly abnormal, he doesn't need specific treatment. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Gaurav Nigam 17 hours later
he's needing a new doctor, not health advice. he was born with this so he knows what he is ding as far as information. But he's looking for a new "Main" Care Provider to see. We can't seem to find someone to help him with his "unique" blood problems, mixed with his back.
Answered by Dr. Gaurav Nigam 3 days later
Brief Answer: Details Detailed Answer: Hi, I tried to search for related specialists for your friend's condition. Though are far from XXXXXXX Lakes but he has to find a new Hematologist. Dr. XXXXXXX A. Rado, MD and Dr. Iyad S. Hamarneh, MD Hematology, XXXXXXX Medicine, Oncology 7360 W Deschutes Ave, Kennewick, WA 0000 Dr. XXXXXXX E. XXXXXXX MD Hematology, Oncology 808 N 39th Ave, Yakima, WA 0000 Thank you for the long wait.