Suggest remedy for bed-wetting and tonsillitis in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Mon, 26 Oct 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dr. XXXXXXX

My kid is 5 yrs old and she is suffering from Tonsils for quite some time. Dr. Adviced me to give her LC Montair KID daily evening and Meta Spray before going to bed for past 5 months. Is it safe to use it for such a long time.

Secondly she is still bed wetting.

Need suggestion from your end.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Montair LC Kid can safely be used intermittently for few days during episod

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

Your question has been posted on a common pool where Dr. XXXXXXX might not be available and hence I have taken up your question. Let me assure you that I have the capacity to answer your query and hence have chosen to answer it. The first part is about tonsillitis. Usually it manifests with frequent episodes of cough and cold. Montair LC Kid is safe to be given as and when required. However, about Meta Spray, I would not advocate long term use although occasional use is ok. Although it might help in quick relief, it might also make it return faster. In any case, I would strongly recommend steam inhalation. The water in form of vapour, can reach deep inside and helps in diluting the cough and provides relief. Gurgling with lukewarm water too provides tremendous benefits in cases of tonsillitis and sore throat.

About the bed wetting, it has a behavioral component which needs to be taken care of. Training the mind to deal with it can resolve the problem. My suggestions in this regard, are:
* Do not resort to punishment. Rather, reinforce the will to avoid bedwetting. Introduce a star charting. Award the child a star for every dry night. If the child can collect a certain number of stars, she gets a simple (non-food) reward. Delayed gratification is very effective.
* Bedwetting alarms are helpful. The alarm will sound immediately on moisture (due to wetting) being detected. This interrupts the sleep of the child midway and in the awkward situation, makes her control the urge midway. It is an effective method.
* Various medicines like desmopressin can be used but are seldom needed.

Try the methods and I hope you would be benefitted.

Hope that helped.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 16 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your revert Dr. XXXXXXX Right now she is not having any cold but Dr. Suggested us to use both the medicines ( LC Montair Kid and Meta spray)for for 6 months to 1 yr so that Tonsils size will be reduced. Do u suggest me to stop giving medicinewhen she is doing good.

Pl. Suggest.

She is taking milk twice a day and refusing to take milk before going to bed. Kindly suggest if it necessary to have milk before going to bed.

Appreciate your quick valuable response.

Regards, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Milk is just an optional food item if the nutrients are supplied otherwise

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing back.

My personal suggestion would be to go for these medicines on off-and-on basis. Give Montair LC Kid whenever you feel that a requirement might develop. Unless the tonsillar size is large enough to cause respiratory obstruction, I would not be bothered with it.

About milk, let me mention that although it is a good source of Vitamin D, if it can be provided from any other source, milk is just an optional component of the diet. So I would not really be worried if the child is not taking milk before bed.

Wish you and your family a good health.

Follow up: Dr. Diptanshu Das 4 minutes later
Thanks a lot for your suggestion Dr.
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Glad to be of service

Detailed Answer:
I am glad that you liked my suggestions. In case you found my answers helpful, I would be glad if you close the thread with a positive review and a 5 star rating.