Steroid drops for herpes simplex keratitis does not help. What to do?

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in General Health
Question: I have herpes simplex keratitis in my right eye which I have had for 18 months. I am treating it with a steroid drop twice a day but my cornea is damaged and the sight is affected. The drops do not seem to be helping. What can I do?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Brief answer...cornea transplant seems to be the answer,if the vision is very bad. Detailed answer.. Hello, Thanks for the query. I really feel bad that you are suffering from this problem for past 18 months. Very frankly speaking,herpes simplex keratitis normally resolves in 3-4 weeks after the treatment with oral and topical antiviral drugs,but if the disease process has carried on for so long and with damage to cornea done,then the only possible treatment seems to be a corneal transplant. If you feel that your vision is substantially affected,then only cornea transplant shall be able to help you. These steroid drops won't have any curing effect on you now. It won't be possible for any drugs to make your cornea heal now. You must consult an opthalmologist who specialises in corneal transplants and discuss with him about the treatment. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further treatment. Best of luck Thanks