Started itching all over body and having yellow urine. Liver function test fine. What's wrong?

Dr. Charles S Narasi

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 26 Dec 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: my brother have itching all over his body, have jaundice in his eyes and have yellow urine. so far his liver function test so far is ok. what can possibly be wrong with him?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 44 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
It is not possible to have yellow jaundice in the eyes and have
normal liver tests. He should have elevated Bilirubin levels in
his blood tests and may be elevated enzymes like Alkaline
Phosphatase. I would question the doctor and find out exactly
what were the results of the test. What I would like to know is
if he had abdominal pain, fever, chills, nausea, vomiting along
with the itching . Gallastones can cause problems and if he has
all the symptoms that I describe. The only condition that I can
think of is called "Carotenemia" which can happen after eating
excessive amounts of carrots !
I want to see him have a sonogram of his gallbladder and liver.
Like to hear from you with more information.
Wish you well.
Follow up: Dr. Charles S Narasi 20 hours later
His ultrasound test showed no blockage or any visible sign. He threw up this morning.
What else could be causing. what about the kidneys?
Answered by Dr. Charles S Narasi 59 minutes later
Hello, XXXXXXX,
I am glad his sonogram came out normal.
I know that his liver tests were normal.
That means he has no jaundice.
The generalized itching could be from
some sort of allergy. I can't explain why
his were yellow.He may need to see an
Infectious disease specialist to see what
is going on. This does not sound anything
connected to the liver or the gallbladder.
I wish him well.