Stabbing pain in left chest. Had the same when depressed. Something to worry?

Dr. Grzegorz Stanko

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: Started getting pain in upper left chest like a stabbing pain . Worked out in gym yesterday and went to sauna today for about 40 mins , was fine until 4 hrs later when I walked up some stairs then got this stabbing pain in chest , felt little dizzy but ok . Pain went after about 5 or so mins but still have a strange feeling in upper chest like cold water running through chest ? Had similar episodes when I was very stressed months ago and dr said all fine . It's happened about 7 times in 12 month period ?
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 2 hours later
Hello!

Thank you for the query.

As you do smoke a lot, you are at the risk of ischeamic heart disease, hypertension, COPD and lungs cancer. All of mentioned disease can cause such symptoms however the most probable is icheamic heart disease. It is advisable in your case to have some diagnostics. You should start with heart ECG, heart ischeamic enzymes (CK-MB and Troponine), blood sugar level, blood pressure checkup. As you do smoke, every two years you should have chest X-ray (or better chest CT). For COPD diagnostics, blow test should be performed (so called spirometry). You should also visit cardiologist and have heart ultrasound and stress test.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.
Regards.