Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
169 Doctors are Online

Sore penis, white growth, puss. Is this serious, advise or treatment?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 379 Questions
My two year old has complained of a sore doodle. We pulled it back which he wasnt bothered about but we came across a white 'growth' about 4-5mm long and 2mm wide that we thought would wipe off and be puss but it didnt. he is still complaining that it is sore. have you got any answers on what it could be and do I need to rush to the gp?
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 4 hours later

Thanks for the query.

It's not uncommon to get sore prepuce / penis in toddlers, often due to handling or urinary infection, but at times due to phimosis or even zip injuries.

The white growth you describe is probably due to growth of yeast due to moisture. Pain, increased urine frequency, burning, and poor stream of urine may often be associated.

Most doctors in such situation advice a urine test including urine analysis and culture. If the white growth can be plucked, a microscopy test for fungus may be tried. The treatment surely will be decided by your doctor after the reports, which is likely to consist of a course of antibiotics, at times a local antifungal lotion and a urine alkaliser that may make it painless.

As the situation can be delicate, visit your doctor and get your son tested.

Hope this answers your query. Should you have any other concerns, feel free to post them to me; I will be glad to assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Pediatrician

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor