Should a person with IFG take medicines?

Dr. Abhay A Mali

Diabetologist

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in Diabetes
Question: I am a male 78yrs old. I am on these medications: for BP = amlong A (1-0-0)+ Losacar25(0-0-1). Clopivas AP75, Storfib, Alfoo, Polybion, Rantac D, Looz/Cremalax, and SOS-Ativan 1mg 1/2 tab.
My blood sugar: Fasting 110, PDP 120. Random-140.
Do I have to take any medication for diabetes/ If yes, which one and how much?
Answered by Dr. Abhay A Mali 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pre-diabetes, you may not require medication for it.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for your question.

Noted your question.

Your Fasting Blood Sugar level denotes Impaired Fasting Glucose (IFG) which is a part of Pre-diabetes.
But your Postprandial blood Glucose level & Random Blood Glucose levels are within normal limits.

In such scenario I would have advised to do following tests -
- OGTT (Oral Glucose tolerance Test) :
Fasting Blood Glucose level depends upon duration of Fasting.
It is always better to classify blood glucose levels considering 75gram Glucose Tolerance Test (Oral Glucose tolerance Test) results.
And /or
- HbA1c level.

If status of Pre-diabetes is confirmed by above test results in that case -
- I would not have advised any medicines for blood glucose control (ie. For diabetes).

- I would have advised lifestyle modification
* Weight control : Try to maintain healthy Body Mass Index (BMI) of less than 23 if possible, considering your current BMI.
* Diet control : Have calories & fat restricted diet. It will be better to consult near by nutrition specialist who can plan diet for you considering your BMI & diet habits.
* Regular exercise :
It is usually recommend to follow at least 150min per week of moderate degree physical exercise.
But considering your age and medicine (antiplatelet - Clopivas AP, Losacar & Among A which denotes heart problem and high blood pressure ) you should discuss your exercise pattern with your treating doctor before starting it.

- Along with above it is recommended to continue your current medicines as before.
Antiplatelet - Clopivas AP.
Antihypertensive (for blood pressure) - Amlong A & Losacar.
For Cholesterol - Storfib.
And other medicines.

- With regular monitoring of
* Blood sugar levels - Fasting, Postprandial in every 2 months and HbA1c at least once in 6 months.
* Blood pressure.
* Lipid Profile at least once in year.
* Urine albumin creatinine ratio at least one in a year and based upon baseline value.

Hope this helps you.

Dr Abhay Mali.
Diabetologist

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina