question-icon

Should Eltroxin be taken before or after a TSH test?

Posted on Fri, 15 May 2015
Question: I am a hypothyroid patient and currently on medicatiin 100 MCG Eltroxine. I want to know that while getting TSH test done, should I take my medicine before giving blood sample or not? Does it impact the result?
Answered by Dr. Ajish TP (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It will not affect TSH values. You can do it any time.

Detailed Answer:
Hi Mr XXXX,

Welcome to HCM. I have gone through the question and understand your concerns.

In thyroid function test we do either TSH alone or T4 and TSH together. TSH values will be the same whether you take Eltroxin or not. But if you take Eltroxin, T4 will be slightly high. So it is recommended to do the test before Eltroxin dose or 4 hours after Eltroxin dose.

Hope I have answered your questions. If you have any further queries I will be happy to help you.

Dr Ajish TP [MD,DM]
Consultant Endocrinologist
Dr. Ajish TP

Endocrinologist