Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
156 Doctors are Online

Severe alcoholic. On zyprexa. Having ADHD with narcolepsy. What about Lamictal vs. Zyprexa?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2003
Answered : 725 Questions
I have a female friend who is a severe alcoholic. Currently, she has been off alcohol for about a month. She is now on zyprexa 5 mg. The results are mixed. I am a physician, but not a psychiatrist. My impression is that she is primarily a very severe ADHD with narcolepsy. She is also definitely bipolar. I am thinking that Adderal or Rittilin would be a good add on. What do you think about Lamictal vs. Zyprexa???
Posted Mon, 1 Jul 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Nehal Shah 5 hours later
Thanks for using healthcare magic.

I have gone through your friend's history provided by you. Please revert to me about symptoms she have and duration of symptoms.

Lack of concentration, hyperactivity or sleep disturbances , either decreased or rarely increased might be symptoms of alcohol withdrawal if the symptoms appear after omission of alcohol.

Mood disturbanes may be either seperate illness or may be due to alcohol withdrawal.
Drugs like methylphenidate may help in ADHD but it may worsen bipolar mood disorder.

So you should take her to psychiatrist for expert evaluation and treatment. Doctor may rule out personalty disorder. I hope you must have rule out physical causes like thyroid disturbances or vitamine B12 deficiency etc.

I hope I have addressed your concern.

Feel free to revert to me in case if you have further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Psychiatrist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor