Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
178 Doctors are Online

Semen analysis showing pus cells. What are the findings from semen culture?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2009
Answered : 9398 Questions
Hi , my semen culture report result is " Coagulase negative staphylococcus (CoNS/CNS) skin contaminant isolated" . Does this mean that it is only skin contaminant and I do not need medication ? I went for semen culture because the semen analysis had shown pus cells of unit 4-6 /HPF. My doctor said that skin contamination is not a cause of concern and didn't prescribe any medicine . It looked strange to me.
Posted Fri, 27 Sep 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
If only skin contaminant, no medication required

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir and welcome.

Thank you for writing in to us.

Your doctor is quite right sir. Bacteria present on the skin can easily contaminate a semen sample, which can show as an infection. But, when a skin contaminant is identified, and there are no other abnormalities with the semen sample, the test is considered to have a normal result; and yes, this will not require any medication.

For your satisfaction, you could repeat the test, but this time with correct techniques for sample collection, in order to avoid skin contamination. You can then correlate the new test results with the old, to confirm/rule out an infection.

I hope this information helps you sir. I hope your new test results prove that all is well, and you are healthy.

Best wishes.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Internal Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor