Scars after lump removal. Noticed cluster of blood bubbles around scars. Any ideas?

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 15 Jan 2013 in Skin Rash
Question: Many years ago I had two benign lumps removed from upper left arm and I was left with two scars. Recently around one of the scars I have a cluster of blood bubbles, looks like a rash but tiny bubbles full of blood. Dark red / purple in colour and approx covering a space of 2cm by 1cm. Any idea what this could be ? I have a picture if it helps ?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 7 hours later
I have seen the picture attached. The blood bubbles that you mentioned seem to be due to an overgrowth of melanin pigment cells. This could be related to a melanoma and needs a direct examination by a dermatologist. An excision biopsy of the area is needed for proper diagnosis. Since the area is gradually increasing in size with irregular margins, further investigations to rule out any malignant transformation is necessary.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.