• question-icon

What causes moles all over the body?

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hello! I've recently had three moles removed, which came back as mild and mild/ moderately atypical.

Now I'm concerned about my two sons, and have made an appointment for them to visit a dermatologist in a few weeks for a check.

My older son, who is 19, does not have a lot of moles, but does have a pigmented spot on his upper back. It's been there for about six years and from what I can see, it looks like it may be a nevus spilus. It started out as looking like a cafe a laut spot, and as he's grown there's darker pigmentation within it (it's about one and a half cm, and somewhat raised). His pediatrician never raised concern over it. My younger son, who is 15, also does not have many moles, but has a spot on his front shoulder which looks like three darker freckles closely grouped together (it's quite small). Again, his pediatrician had no concern over it, but I read that there can be an "anmagated nevus" which it resembles. I'm not attaching any images, as I don't want to ask my sons to let me take pictures of the spots.

Obviously, these are just self diagnoses which I have made, but I became nervous when I read that both could have potential for malignant transformation, and that they could be related to familial atypical mole syndrome (that worries me that I somehow genetically passed that along, although my Derm said she doesn't feel that I fit the criteria for that). And yes, I need to stop the googling!

Can you tell me whether those types of moles are somewhat common and whether you feel I should be worried about them (if that what they turn out to be), and whether I should stress out over any genetic component?

Thank you so much for your time and any reassurances you can give me!!
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
These moles are common, no need to worry

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
This is Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
I have answered your queries in the past.
I have gone through your complaints and there is no need to worry.
These moles are common and there is nothing dangerous about it.
You don't have to worry about the genetic component as even you are not having atypical mole syndrome.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist