Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

155 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Samonella typhi H and salmonella typhi O are in normal limits. Am I at risk of typhoid?

Answered by
Dr. Ganesh Sanap


Practicing since :2007

Answered : 561 Questions

Posted on Mon, 7 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello doctor, I have Samonella typhi H = 1;80 and salmonella typhi O = 1;160., Is it show that I have typhoid.? Pls reply.
Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 3 hours later
Thanks for writing
Your O and H antibodies titre is within normal limits. It doesn't show that you are infected with typhoid. Just continue with same antibiotics and antipyretic. It looks like a viral fever.
Typhoid fever is step ladder pattern fever. It is high grade. Also widal test should be done in second week of illness.
Four fold rise in titre every week is significant only. Single widal test in endemic area is of no significance.
Hope I have answered your query. Any follow up are welcome.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Aparna Kohli
Follow up: Dr. Ganesh Sanap 11 hours later
Hello Doctor,

Thanks for the information. I have taken the Blood test in the First week itself and it shows the WIDAL as 'Positive' and I have given the H, O values in the last query.
Do you want me to take the blood test again and check.?

Answered by Dr. Ganesh Sanap 1 hour later
Hello, welcome back.

It will be helpful if you do it in second week again. If there will fourfold rise in titre then it will be significant.

One more important point, your physician has started treatment already. So test may come negative. If you are symptomatic then only going to test otherwise no need at all.
Unfortunately these are the side effects of widal test.

Hope you have received an appropriate answer.


Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,  
Lab Tests ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Salmonella

doctor1 MD

Hello, I have been diagnosed with Salmonella TWICE within the last two months and been having abnormal stool. Best way to describe it would be loose. What I mean by "loose" is when the stool hits the water it begins to separate. I have taken two different antibiotics for each of the instances, but the "loose" stool have never stopped.

doctor1 MD

i have had severe stomach cramps and vomiting over the past two days. the last thing i have eaten was a burger from the local van. i have had salmonella food poisoning before. could this be reoccurring in my system?

I am still being able to drink lots of fluids although they don't stay down for long

doctor1 MD


I think that I have salmonella poisoning due to something I ate and my symptoms started April 1st. I have had severe stomach cramping and diarrhea since then and my stool is green no matter what I eat. How much longer should I wait before I go to see a doctor?



doctor1 MD

I have diarrhoe for more than a month and the testresult of my stoolsample showed that I have Salmonella type B in my digestion. What is it exactly and is it possible that it just causes me diarrhoe for a long time without any other diseases?
Thank you so much for your help,

doctor1 MD

My Son recently got fever, cold and diarrhea Doctor gave him Taxim-o, Baby gesic, SInarest , Zinc suspension He also asked us to do stool culture as he has bloody stool for one day. Report Says Gram Stain: Occasional pus cells and gram negative...

doctor1 MD

For only one day. on friday UsG abdomen done aorta and ivc normal yesterday typhoid widal test positive salmonella typhi o 1:80and salmonella typhi H1:160dilution,PR was done internal haemorroides said by doctor, no blood no mucus in stool sample,...

doctor1 MD

My daughter had her first unprovoked seizure two months back...all her blood results were normal....but she was hospitalised for 2 days and then administered with anti-seizure medicines and she recovered....She again developed seizure like...