Salty taste in mouth with cough and sharp pain under nipple. What am I suffering from?

Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in General Health
Question: Ive been experiencing a salty taste in my mouth constantly for about a week. previous to that i had a nasal drainage that was very yellow liquid that lasted about four days. Ive had a cough now for about a month and a half that is mainly worse at night. I feel tired all the time.
I have also been experiencing a sharp shooting pain under my left nipple that makes it impossible to breath for about 30 seconds then it subsides. I've experinced this my whole life randomly but seems to be happening daily for these last 2 weeks sometimes several times a day.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later

Thank you for writing back.

1. You seem to have had a severe cold and sinusitis (copious yellow mucus drainage and fatigue) leading to a Post Nasal Drip (PND). A PND usually causes cough at night after change of position (lying down) when the mucus flows out of the sinuses and irritates the throat. Violent or continuous coughing may cause chest pain. A PND may also lead to increase in Acid Reflux which also causes the sharp pain while breathing.

2. Get a chest auscultation and a Chest X-ray done. If these are normal and if you have normal blood tests (no eosinophilia), no fever or breathlessness then you may get a prescription for supportive medication from your physician. If symptoms do not subside, get a Sinus X-ray / plain Scan CT PNS (Para Nasal Sinuses) done.

3. Anti inflammatory, anti-allergic, mucolytic, anti-reflux medication along with a medicated gargle and cough suppressant along with steam inhalation may help.

4. Keep a local physician's informed. Smoking worsens symptoms and delays recovery.

5. Use warm clothing and drink warm liquids. Avoid sour, spicy and cold liquids. If this is only a hyper-reactive airway after a viral infection, it will subside in a few weeks.

I hope that I have answered your queries. If you have any further questions, I will be available to answer them.

Regards.