Re: Pain pill options for back surgery: Hello. I am
Hello. I am preparing for a back S/I joint fusion next week and I know I will need pain pills, however I do not take opioids for my pain as a matter of personal choice. I want to be knowledgeable with my doctor as to what I can have [which I’m sure will have to be an opioid]. In the past for major surgeries [decades ago] I did not do well with Percocet or Vicodin.
In the last month for severe pain I have taken [from Rx] 1/2 tablet of Hydrocodone 5-325 just 3 times and that seemed to be ok.
I am very sensitive to pain pills and try to be on the cautious side of medications. Any thoughts as to what I need to ask him that is the least problematic? I also take Zoloft [200 mg daily] and Klonopin 1 mg [this is for facial spasms at night]. Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX Mancini
Less problematic is acetaminophen or a combination with low dose of codeine
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.
I understand your concern.
There are several pain relievers, which work really well and have minor side effects.
The safest painkiller which I give in daily practice is acetaminophen.
It is an over the counter option.
Another option of painkillers can be anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen which are also over the counter option.
You can consult your doctor about a version of acetaminophen with codeine (Tylenol-Codeine) .
It is a prescription option of painkiller with a low dose of codeine.
Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- What is the cause of excessive sweating resulting in the feeling of been...
- What can cause itching and welts on the upper abdomen?
- How to treat itching of the skin with small scabs on hands and arms?
- What type of exercises are advisable for a patient with high blood...
- What causes severe pelvic pain after engaging in sexual intercourse?
- Can Simvastatin cause side-effects after being on it for 4 years?
- What do abdominal pain with difficulty urinating indicate?
- Does mold causes heart palpitation and hot flashes?
- Can Ketamine help treat chronic depression in an elderly person?
- How can itchy rashes on the stomach be treated despite using Lotrix lotion?