Re: Pain pill options for back surgery: Hello. I am

Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi

Posted on Mon, 31 Dec 2018 in Back Pain
Question: Re: Pain pill options for back surgery:
Hello. I am preparing for a back S/I joint fusion next week and I know I will need pain pills, however I do not take opioids for my pain as a matter of personal choice. I want to be knowledgeable with my doctor as to what I can have [which I’m sure will have to be an opioid]. In the past for major surgeries [decades ago] I did not do well with Percocet or Vicodin.
In the last month for severe pain I have taken [from Rx] 1/2 tablet of Hydrocodone 5-325 just 3 times and that seemed to be ok.
I am very sensitive to pain pills and try to be on the cautious side of medications. Any thoughts as to what I need to ask him that is the least problematic? I also take Zoloft [200 mg daily] and Klonopin 1 mg [this is for facial spasms at night]. Thank you for your help. XXXXXXX Mancini
Answered by Dr. Dorina Gurabardhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Less problematic is acetaminophen or a combination with low dose of codeine

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear and welcome to ‘Ask A Doctor’ service. I have reviewed your query and here is my advice.

I understand your concern.

There are several pain relievers, which work really well and have minor side effects.

The safest painkiller which I give in daily practice is acetaminophen.

It is an over the counter option.

Another option of painkillers can be anti-inflammatory medication such as Ibuprofen or Naproxen which are also over the counter option.

You can consult your doctor about a version of acetaminophen with codeine (Tylenol-Codeine) .

It is a prescription option of painkiller with a low dose of codeine.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T