Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
195 Doctors are Online

Problem in reading small fonts. Diagnosed with convergence insufficiency and presbyopia. Any suggestions?

User rating for this question
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 1978
Answered : 6714 Questions
I am a 30 year old male working in the IT Industry. I haven't had any problems with my eyes till about 2 years ago. Since then, I have had problems reading small fonts and in dim light after a few hours of work. My eyes feel very tired after just 1 hour of reading and then, I have to really struggle to read. I have visited many eye doctors, some of whom said I may have convergence insufficiency and recommended eye exercises. As this didn't help., and my reading vision deteriorated further, I went to another doctor recently, who said I have Presbyopia and recommended reading glasses +1.25. I hear that this is generally the case only after age of 40+. Can this happen for ~30 years also? Wearing these reading glasses is really helping me, but is that the only solution, or can the eye exercises that the other doctors recommended help in the long term?
Posted Thu, 28 Nov 2013 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Brief answer...given below Detailed answer... Hello, Thanks for the query. You are right that presbyopia generally starts after the age of 40 years,since it is because of the natural ageing process.But presbyopia can develop in younger age as in you and specially in people who have a job requiring a lot of close up work or in people who live and work in hot climate with lots of ultraviolet sunlight exposure. Treatment is generally glasses only which can be bifocal or progressive or contact lenses. In some cases an operation called as PRELEX can be done where your old inflexible natural lens in the eye is replaced with an artificial one. Exercises of eyes would not make much difference. I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query. Best of luck Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Ophthalmologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor