Pricked finger with a needle and noticed swelling. Is this serious?

Dr. Shanthi.E

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: I pricked my finger with a needle with HCG on it this morning . Tonight it is swollen down to the 2nd nuckel. Is this serious? should I go to the doctor?
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

The prick injury that you suffered is not serious enough to need a doctor's attention now.

I do understand that it is swollen to the second knuckle. However, I do not think it is serious.

Simple measures like ice packs to the affected area every 2 to 3 hours with an over the counter analgesic like Motrin should suffice.

If the swelling does not come down with these measures in a couple of days, you may consider visiting your doctor.

Hope this helps. Get well soon.

Do write back if you have more queries to ask.

Follow up: Dr. Shanthi.E 9 hours later
The swelling has moved down to the top left corner of my palm...it seems to be a fluid. It's not hot, red or painful....the tip of my finger has gone down but the swelling moved down. Could it be fluid? Thanks!!
Answered by Dr. Shanthi.E 2 hours later

Yes, it could be fluid and this is how the swelling normally subsides. With another day, the entire swelling should be gone.

Continue to apply ice.