Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
153 Doctors are Online

Presence of loose bodies in the knee joint. How to treat this problem?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Pathologist and Microbiologist
Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 6941 Questions
I have a loose body in my knee and am waiting for arthroscopy. I have also stayed off work as a meniscus tear was also suspected. My question is my work entails a lot of kneeling and squatting which is causing me a great deal of pain at the moment. Am I right to continue staying of for would you advise getting back to normal duties as soon as possible? I work in cardiac surgery as a perfusionist and need to be agile and move quickly and freely. I am concerned my current knee condition is impairing my ability to do this sufficiently at the moment. As my knee also locks and keeps catching. Thank you for your time.
Posted Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 10 hours later

Thanks for your query.

Presence of loose bodies in the knee joint indicates osteoarthiritis. It is a degenerative disorder of joints caused by wearing off of the articular cartilage. Articular cartilage which is a hyaline cartilage covers the opposing surfaces of the joint. Destruction of this cartilage leads to degeneration of the underlying bone also. Therefore one may experience symptoms of pain, stiffness and locking occurs with osteoarthritis.

Such conditions are managed either with conservative and surgical treatment. However before the treatment is planned, kneeling and squatting position may cause further deterioration and aggravation of symptoms. So it is definitely better to avoid such positions. Adequate rest to the knee joint is recommended till your doctor's plan the next step of management.

Besides that meniscal tear also warrants adequate rest for proper healing.

Discuss with your orthopedic surgeon who can write to your management if you have any problems with leave application.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you need further assistance.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Presence of loose bodies in the knee joint. How to treat this problem? 3 hours later
Many thanks for getting back to me. My pain is still bad so will take your advice. Just worry about absent for so long. However, damage limitation is the name of the game. Thanks again. Best wishes.
Answered by Dr. Shailja Puri 9 hours later
The pleasure is mine.
I wish you a speedy recovery.

Dr Shailja P Wahal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor