Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
160 Doctors are Online

Parkinson patient. Five blocks in body. Frequently admitted to hospital for low BP. Rehab center in Bangalore?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 2570 Questions
Dear Doctor,
My father has many ailments, he is a Parkinson patient, he has pacemaker for last three years. He has five blocks in his body. We are noticing that last two months he has been frequently admitted in the hospital for low BP. I feel we are not able to keep the diet/movement in control at home.
I wanted to know if there is any rehab center in bangalore where can keep my father for few months on strict diet/therapist.
Posted Tue, 6 Aug 2013 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Prasad 21 hours later

I understand your concern. Parkinsonism is a chronic condition which needs adequate medication for proper treatment. Further depression is very much common association here. In the absence right medical treatment as well as family support depression is more likely. Therefore I do not think it is a good idea to keep him in a rehab centre.
Besides that I am unaware if he might be eligible for admission to a neuro rehab centres.

My suggestions are:
1. Discuss with his treating neurophysician to optimize his antiparkinsonism drugs. The right drug, adequate dosage and right timing of medication can help him perform his activities adequately.
2. As far as his diet is concerned, I do not see any reasons (based on the history you provided) why he cannot be feeding orally. However if at all there is a problem Ryle's tube feed can be initiated briefly under guidance of your doctor and nutritionist.
3. It is very essential that he is supported well by family and friends. Physical and emotional attachment is going to improve the health status significantly.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor