Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
132 Doctors are Online

Painful blood filled lump in the groin area. Chances of infection?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1980
Answered : 254 Questions
I am a 22 year old female and found a painful lump that looked like a giant pimple in the shower and it burst. It was just diagonal from my genital area, between my hip bone and my genitals. When I showed it to my mom she said it was an epidermoid cyst and that my dad gets them on his back. it was full of blood. it has a small opening now and I am worried about getting an infection. What should I do?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 2 hours later
I went through your history. From your descrption it looked like a furuncle which is also called as one man ,s boil. It is common in thea you have mentioned. It is caused by staph infection. You may have to consult your family physician to get rid of it. You may need a couse of oral or topical antibiotics to cure.
Alternatively keep the area clean and dry
Use only loose fitting clothes
Use dusting powders liberally in the groin
I hope you should be ok
Wishing a speedy recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dermatologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor