Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
190 Doctors are Online

Painful anal skin tag engorged with blood, soreness, bleeding, taking Movocol to loosen stools, Rectogesic, Xylocaine ineffective

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12749 Questions
I have an anal skin tag which has become engorged with blood and is very painful. I am taking Movocol to loosen the stools but I am still bleeding and very sore in that area. What can be done for me?
I am 56yr old female living in Canberra Australia. I have been given Rectogesic ointment and Xylocaine ointment but neither of these are helping now
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 24 minutes later

Thanks for writing to us.

Based on your description, it seems that you may be experiencing from hemorrhoids. Hemorrhoids are swellings of veins in the area of the anus which can become sometimes painful and itchy. There can sometimes be a stinging sensation especially during bowel movements.

The treatment of hemorrhoids includes a topical medication and possibly a suppository. I usually recommend a topical medication such as Preparation H. There are many different generic varieties of this medication. The main active ingredient is hydrocortisone. The hydrocortisone serves to decrease inflammation and help with the itching. You can use this along with rectogesic ointment that you are using. In addition I usually recommend that patients with persistent symptoms use a suppository once or twice per month. This generally provides good results for these patients.

Apart from the medications, twice daily sitbaths in a warm bathtub for 20 minutes is also extremely useful in reducing the symptoms. The warm water will sooth the area and help shrink the swollen tissue.

If incase the symptoms persists then you need to consult your surgeon and plan for surgical management.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor