Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
158 Doctors are Online

Pain in stomach, pain in back, constipation. Advise

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Internal Medicine Specialist
Practicing since : 1998
Answered : 1579 Questions
My wife is a 47 year old female, she has experienced stomach pains or stomach ache for 2 days. Additionally she has pain in the middle of her back simultaneous to the stomach pain. Additionally she is constipated and feels as if she needs to go to the bathroom but cannot. Even though she has had bowel movements today the pain persists. Should I take her to an emergency room? I am not looking for an answer in 24 hours I am looking for an answer quickly
Posted Mon, 29 Apr 2013 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 11 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query.

The symptoms that your wife is having are suggestive of constipation which is causing the abdominal pain. For constipation, some of the methods of treatment are:

1)      First of all increase the fiber amount in your diet. The best natural sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables and eat slowly and chew you food well. You may even add bulk forming agents like salads, bananas etc or psyllium husk to your diet.

2)     Exercise regularly such as the regular walking and knee-to-chest position which activates bowel movement.

3)     Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday.

4)     Decrease intake of alcohol, caffeine, tea and cola drinks

5)     Go to the toilet at the same time every day which helps in regularizing the bowel.

6)     Do not take any over the counter laxatives like Senna which can worsen the condition.

7)     If the symptoms persist then she may need osmotic laxatives like polyethylene glycol PEG or miralax after your doctor’s prescription.

If the symptoms persist then other causes need to be ruled out which include intestinal obstruction and kidney causes for which she needs investigations like barium enema upper GI with small bowel series, ultrasound or CT scan abdomen, thyroid profile, motility and imaging studies and colonoscopy. For these you need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Wishing you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Gastroenterologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor