Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

Pain in right side chest, back, severe, constant

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2005
Answered : 43 Questions
i am feeling extreme pain in the top right hand side of my cahest and back espically when i breathe or move.. it started a few days ago in my chest as mild pain and has moved onto my back aswell its a constant pain slowly getiing more painfull its abouts 7/10 at the moment and been like this for few hours, if i push in my chest at the top right hand side its feels like im pushing my lung
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sangeet 2 hours later

Thanks for the query.

Don't worry. With respect to your symptoms and if you didn't have any trauma to the chest wall, you seem to have Costochondritis.
Its a benign disorder wherein the soft portion of your ribs is inflamed causing pain on movements like XXXXXXX breathing or pressing against them.

Its a self limiting condition and usually subsides within a few days.

X-rays don't show any changes and MRI of the chest wall will confirm the diagnosis. However, its not essential for diagnosis as the diagnosis is usually clinical.

The treatment:
- Kindly apply ice over the areas of maximum pain.
- Get anti-inflammatories prescribed for a week. They would be of great help in reducing the pain drastically.
- Continue this for a week or two. You pain should subside markedly by then.

If not, write back to me. I will be available for follow up.

I hope my advise was satisfactory and useful. I would like to know your feedback, if possible after a week.

Wish you good health and don't worry.

Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor