On isotrexin gel for acne. Not getting cured. Any permanent cure?

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 2 Jan 2013 in Acne
Question: I have been using isotrexin gel for five weeks but my acne has gotten worse, should I go for roaccuttane?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 2 hours later
Hi, thanks for using health care magic

There are different factors which act together to cause acne.(1) proliferation of the skin cells resulting in blockage of the follicles in the skin (2) increased production of sebum which is a oily waxy substance made by certain glands in the skin (3)presence of a particular bacteria that is associated with acne (4) inflammation

Effective treatment requires that all of these aspects are addressed.

In terms of the topical retinoid creams like the one you are using: they have an anti inflammatory effect, break down the acne 'bumps' and reduce the increased numbers of skin cells, however treatment can be frustrating in the beginning. This is because worsening can actually occur in the first 2 to 4 weeks as there is loosening of the skin.By the second month there is usually significant improvement of the acne.

Your doctor may consider adding an antibiotic (oral or topical to treat the bacterial aspect of acne) because this has been shown to increase the speed of recovery.

Some persons use benzoyl peroxide in the mornings and the topical retinoids in the evenings.

You may want to consider waiting at least another 2-3 weeks because the worsening the you are seen is commonly seen.
An antibiotic may also help

I hope this is helpful to you, feel free to ask any other questions