Noticed swelling and bug bite on elbow. What cure should be done?

Dr. Sadiq Mughal

Critical Care Specialist

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Infections
Question: Hello.

Recently, I noticed what appeared to be a bug bite on my elbow. There was no pain, but I have a bad habit of scratching and picking at scabs. About two days ago, edema set in. It has reached my hand. Is there anything I can do to decrease the swelling?
Answered by Dr. Sadiq Mughal 3 hours later
Hello, thanks for writing to us.

This swelling which you have developed post bug bite, most probably could be due to superadded bacterial infection.

You need treatment for super added bacterial infection for which you have to take antibiotics. Additionally you also need anti histaminic and anti-inflammatory drugs.

Keep your forearm elevated or you can keep it in a triangular sling. It will help in reducing the swelling.

I would suggest you to consult a nearby physician, for prescription of above drugs.

Hope this answers your question.
Let me know if you have any more queries.
Get well soon.

Dr Sadiq

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E