Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
182 Doctors are Online

Noticed sudden appearance of dent on forehead. What could be the cause?

Nov 2013
User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 1994
Answered : 5530 Questions
My son (age 21) woke up with a dent (depression) in his skull - towards front of head. His head has been hurting there on and off all day. He did not fall, and did not hit it in any way.
Posted Fri, 2 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that your son does not have any serious illness pertaining to head or brain.

The dent on forehead can normally occur at times and would get better on its own.
For the pain, you could use an analgesic such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.

If headache is settling, there is no need to worry. On the other hand, if headache persists or increases, you may show to a doctor and get a CT scan of the head done.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Noticed sudden appearance of dent on forehead. What could be the cause? 13 minutes later
The dent is about 2-3 inches ABOVE the forehead, well into the hairline. It's rather XXXXXXX up to 1/4 inch - can feel it but not see it b/c of hair. Will continue to give him ibuprofen and see if the pain gets any worse.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
I meant the same, as that is the area, where we normally have sutures (the place of fusion of bones of both sides of skull). And occasionally, the dent of sutures become prominent. So, no need to worry and continue to observe.
Best wishes,
DR Sudhir Kumar MD DM
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor