Noticed sudden appearance of dent on forehead. What could be the cause?

Dr. Sudhir Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Sun, 4 Nov 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My son (age 21) woke up with a dent (depression) in his skull - towards front of head. His head has been hurting there on and off all day. He did not fall, and did not hit it in any way.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 47 minutes later
Thank you for contacting Healthcare magic.

First of all, let me reassure you that your son does not have any serious illness pertaining to head or brain.

The dent on forehead can normally occur at times and would get better on its own.
For the pain, you could use an analgesic such as diclofenac or ibuprofen.

If headache is settling, there is no need to worry. On the other hand, if headache persists or increases, you may show to a doctor and get a CT scan of the head done.

I hope it clarifies. Please get back if you have any more queries.
Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Medicine) DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX consultant Neurologist
Follow up: Dr. Sudhir Kumar 13 minutes later
The dent is about 2-3 inches ABOVE the forehead, well into the hairline. It's rather XXXXXXX up to 1/4 inch - can feel it but not see it b/c of hair. Will continue to give him ibuprofen and see if the pain gets any worse.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 1 hour later
Thank you for getting back with more details.
I meant the same, as that is the area, where we normally have sutures (the place of fusion of bones of both sides of skull). And occasionally, the dent of sutures become prominent. So, no need to worry and continue to observe.
Best wishes,
DR Sudhir Kumar MD DM