Noticed redness in eye after getting eye injury. How to get relief?

Dr. Stephen Christensen

Posted on Tue, 11 Dec 2012 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: Poked my eye andnow it is blood red;upper right corner.
If that was not bad enough... I got up this morniong rubbing the eye and made it worse...
Now the upper eye(white part) is bloody. When I left my eye lid it's almost all blood from my rubbing.
Vision is good in that eye and I have no pain in that eye.
PS...I have zero insurance and no money otherwise I would have been at the doctors office already.HELP!
Answered by Dr. Stephen Christensen 3 hours later

Thanks for the query. I'm Dr. Christensen.

I understand your concerns. Eye injuries can be frightening. In this case, though, you're probably dealing with a relatively harmless condition called subconjunctival hemorrhage. This situation occurs when blood leaks into the narrow space between your sclera (the white part of your eye) and your conjunctiva (the clear membrane that contains the tiny blood vessels that course over your eyeball).

In nearly all instances, subconjunctival hemorrhages clear up without causing any visual problems, although it can take several weeks for the blood to eventually disappear, and you'll probably notice some interesting color changes over your eyeball while this injury is clearing up.

Now, in some people, subconjuntival hemorrhages can be a sign of an underlying problem, such as uncontrolled high blood pressure or a bleeding disorder. It would be prudent to get your blood pressure checked, and if the bleeding in your eye continues to spread across the white of your eye, you should see a doctor. (The bleeding won't spread across your iris and pupil, so it won't threaten your vision.)

You can find more information on the Internet about subconjunctival hemorrhages, and I'll be available if you have additional questions. (I'll be stepping away from my computer for a couple of hours, though, so be patient.)

I hope that helps!

Good luck...

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad