Noticed painless moving lump on kneecap. What could it be?

Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 5 Jan 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have a 1/2" round free moving hard lump on the right side of my kneecap. It is not painful and can be moved around in about a 1" to 1 1/2" circle.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 8 hours later
I have gone through the picture of lump attached with your query.

Well, without a clinical evaluation it would be difficult to determine the cause of the lump. Possibilities that may need to be considered include enlarged bursa, lipomas, cysts, growths from underlying connective tissue etc.

Sometimes, a fluid filled structure just above the knee cap called supra patellar bursa is chronically inflamed, with or without pain, due to some infection or trauma and the process causes fibrosis and inflammation, making a lump like structure above the knee cap.

I would suggest getting this evaluated by an orthopedician for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management. You may get the X-ray of the area affected and FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) of lump under his/her guidance.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.

Wishing you good health
Regards.
Dr Saurabh Gupta

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E