Noticed blood after bowel movement. What is going on?

Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 21 Dec 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Sir,

From yesterday i am getting some blood after latrine. Latrine is coming okay but can you plz tell me the reason. My age is 27year/male
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 34 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

There can be a number of reasons for blood in the stool but the most common reason is piles (haemorroids). To be able to guide you further I would like to know the following:
1. Does the blood come after passing the stool or well mixed with the stool or does it streak one side of the stool?
2. Is there any associated pain?
3. Are you constipated?
As you have mentioned that the you are getting "some blood after latrine" I understand that there is no associated pain and you may be constipated. This is suggestive of XXXXXXX piles.

I suggest that you get yourself examined by a doctor who would do a rectal examination and confirm the diagnosis and advise appropriate treatment. In case you are constipated you shall have to modify your diet by increasing roughage in your diet.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you require any clarifications or would like to share more facts about the problem.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 8 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

Ans: blood come after passing the stool.

2. Is there any associated pain?
Ans: No

3. Are you constipated?
Ans: No

XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 5 minutes later

Thank you for the update.

As you are not constipated and there is painless passage of blood after stool then you need to see a doctor who shall examine you and do a rectal examination. If no cause of bleeding is found in the rectal area the doctor may order a colonscopy to see the large intestines.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction.

RKK
Follow up: Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 7 minutes later
Doctor,

Last thing I want to know there is some major problem or minor problem that can be solved by only medicine.

Reg,
XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 10 minutes later
Hi XXXXXXX

Thank you for your query.

I can understand your concern. However it is difficult to say if your problem can be controlled by medicines without exactly knowing the cause of bleeding. If the bleeding is due to piles of first and second degree then regulation of diet with local application of medicines will help. The piles of third degree would require surgery. If the bleeding is from the large intestines then appropriate management would be required after visualising the source and cause.

I hope I have tried to allay your fears but nothing can be said till an examination by a doctor has been done.

Wishing you all the best.

RKK

P.S.: In case you intend closing the query then do provide your review.