Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

My son was diagnosed with pubic osteitis last year. He

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Practicing since : 2011
Answered : 5163 Questions
My son was diagnosed with pubic osteitis last year.
He rested the injury for 3 weeks but the issue seemed to come and go for months.
The only thing I believe helped heal him was a strengthening program for his weaker core muscles and increasing flexibility,
After 3 weeks of strengthening his symptoms went away.
Looking back I’m not sure he was correctly diagnosed. He never was given an MRI, and his pain level never matched that of what he was supposed to be feeling. He always had an absence of pain except sometimes when playing and he referred to what he felt as more of a tightness.

Anyway, my question is - he felt a similar but faint tightness during his last game. Is this likely more muscular and maybe more like tendinitis?
I ask this because I see a similar pattern with his jumpers knee ( patellar tendinitis) that he’s dealt with off and on.
And like most teens, he stops doing his strengthening exercises once he feels good.
He tells me he doesn’t feel a doctors visit is necessary.
And after going to specialists for several months, I’m not so sure he’s totally wrong.
He said discomfort was around a 1 on pain scale.
No redness, warmth, bruising or swelling in the area.
He feels nothing in his day to day activities.
I can’t recreate the pain with resisted sit ups or leg lifts(stuff doc did in office last year).
He also said the tightness felt less deep, which I’m guessing he means more superficial, which maybe isn’t really the same thing.
What are your thoughts.
Sat, 3 Feb 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 46 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Athletic pubalgia

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

I have read your query and understood your problem.

This appears to be a case of Athletic pubalgia. Here there is an imbalance of the forces between the lower abdominal and adductor muscles.

Usually an MRI can detect this condition by showing inflammatory changes in the muscle insertions near the pubis.

Physiotherapy is very effective with the use of selective strengthening and stretching of each of the affected muscle tendon units and the use of Short wave diathermy (SWD).

Apply ice 3 times a day for 20 minutes each session.

Do get an MRI scan of the affected region to confirm the diagnosis.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.


Dr.Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Sports Med Specialist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor